Saturday, July 26, 2008

Travelling: the poor traveler's way

Okay, let me spare your slow broadband connection from bugging down because of loads of photos uploaded in this blog. This time, just for this time, please allow me to wear the cape of a travel expert sharing experiences.

Here we go…

One misconception about traveling is that it is being viewed as a hobby of the rich and famous people. In my online web pages and previous blog, I often received comments like, “I envy you for being a well-traveled person. How I wish I have more money like you”, “You traveled a lot. You’re a rich person perhaps”, and “You got a lot of bucks. You travel anytime you want”.

Though it’s true that traveling entails money, it doesn’t mean that only rich people has the sole right to enjoy the world. Everybody deserves a treat and the poor needs a lot of it even. Just like me. Poverty sucks, and it sucks a lot more when you do nothing about it. Traveling just get in my way because of my job but it got me hooked because it relieves me from boredom and stress.

Here is how I made my travels possible, the poor traveler’s way:

1. Resources. Just a little enough. (And what is exactly "a little enough"?) It could be a savings, a sideline, allowance (for students). While it’s true that I owe much of my travels to my job, the fact is that I seldom enjoyed it because I am attached to the schedule of activities prepared by the event organizers. It spoils the fun. Big time! So I make sure I travel on my own itinerary. And I backed-up my finances with my savings. It doesn't need to be lavish. I don’t have the right. I’m just averaging a regular wage just like those blue-collar employees.

2. Budgeting and Planning. Planning ahead my trips and allocating a budget for it is a relevant step. I did researches on possible expenses like the transport fare, accommodation, food, souvenir expenses, and miscellaneous fees so I will know how much it would cost me and how much I would spend. Then make a cut in my daily expenses to save something for the trip.

3. Network scanning. Most of the time, it is my friends who are behind my travels. Before deciding on a target place for travel, I usually assess how many friends do I have in those places. They are of big help when it comes to expenses especially if I need a volunteer guide in touring around. Besides, traveling alone will be costly and boring so I invite some friends who could share the fun and expenses with me.

4. Advance booking. Fares are usually very very very low if purchased 3-4 months ahead the target flight. If you are targeting a domestic travel, fares are relatively lower and cheaper if purchased days ahead the scheduled trip. When the date is agreed and fixed, I booked tickets ahead of time so I’m sure I get a sure slot. If you know somebody in the transport service where you can get discounted rates, it is a leveraging factor -a cut in the budget.

Now start your tour! Be a tourist while you are alive.
If there’s a will, there’s a way they say. If you believe that you can make a thing, go for it. There are a million ways to realize it. And I would like to borrow this quote forwarded to me through SMS: “The first step towards getting somewhere is to decide that you are not going to stay where you are”.

But, traveling doesn’t need to be anywhere far. Interesting places that are relatively cheaper with the same guaranteed satisfaction compared to other places could be just around the corner near you. Start traveling within your place so you will appreciate more the places that you will be visiting. We got so many holidays and long weekends that you can make use of.


Will I qualify to become an expert travel advisor? :D

24 comments:

The Islander said...

FYI, this entry is a repost from my previous blog. So for the benefit of the comments that i missed most from that old blog, i am reposting also the comments of the people who previously browsed this.

Thank you.

Anonymous said...

hi islander here too....heheh
happy trip sa Cebu hup u enjoy there..

can we xchange link...



posted 3/27/2008

The Islander said...

DONG, MARCH PA DIAY TA NAGKAILA NOH. DUGAY DUGAY NA PUD. PERO WA PA JUD KO KAILA NIMO SA PERSONAL. SA BLOG LANG. HEHE

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip, I'm planning to go to Baguio soon. Enjoy your trip as I will do mine. Good day!


posted 3/28/2008

The Islander said...

Simon is the friend of coconuter David Poarch

Anonymous said...

Aminin mo na kasi na marami kang pera..hahaha..joke!


posted 3/30/2008 2:11 PM

The Islander said...

Mandaragat is a blogger friend from Hawaii. Also a wanderer; together with his trips his son.

Anonymous said...

mayaman ka kasi. kaya gala ka ng gala


posted 3/30/2008 10:52 PM

The Islander said...

Dakilang Tambay is a kikay blogger who used to blog about everything including her admittedly being flirt which is being misunderstood.

Anonymous said...

spot on bai!

in my case, I got to travel far and wide because of my work before and i made sure to be assigned in different places in the country. other than the work, i always plan ahead and do my own trips.


posted 3/31/2008 11:26 AM

The Islander said...

Estan the looper.. looper coined from the term 'loop' he used to refer to the travels he made that follows a circular pattern.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you. I also made a lot of travel but I was never rich in my life. Thanx for sharing...



posted 4/11/2008 10:33 AM

ßrigida ∫chmidt © Copyright said...

This is a good article. It just so happens that in the Philippines you have to go to a particular spot to enjoy the nature. The environment there is becoming highly abused, so gone were the days when you can just go in front of your house and enjoy nature's beauty.

Budget Traveler said...

excellent post!!

So, where's your next destination??

The Islander said...

@bridge.. thank you. yeah, true that. the rural areas are slowly becoming crowded and spoiled. but im glad that in our home, we can still view the mountain on the other side. and we still breath fresh air.

@budget traveler.. thank you for that.

Next destination? Im tied with my work so im going provincial tour only. That is tomorrow already. And we have a planned trip.

Anonymous said...

I 100% agree that we should be a tourist first in our own place before venturing to other places. I practiced this approach every time I came to PI for a month visit. And your right we have so much to discover and they are all worth the try. Thanks!

Jake said...

You said it all dude!!! Every bit of your tips will sure help those aspiring travellers to come out of their shells and explore the world. When will you ever feature Batanes?

wanderingcommuter said...

do you have any tips on how to make someone you like join the trip with you? hahaha

pusangkalye said...

you have to admit though.....aside from careful planning and stuffs like that, you need money to go around the place. Esp if that place is the Philippines. mas mahal pa nga gumala dito kesa pumunta ka ibang bansa e.....or so I heard.....

Anonymous said...

i think number 3 is a brilliant idea! :) i guess i'll have to make more friends then. thanks for sharing!

The Islander said...

@kim.. yup. i second the motion. here in our province alone, i admit there are still some places that i havent gone to.

@jake.. batanes is in the list. but considering some factors, i dunno when would that be. its a dream anyway. and i want to realize that dream.

@wandering commuter.. hehehe. simple. all expense paid and with bonuses pa.

The Islander said...

@pakaleklalawak.. im curious about your handle. can you tell what pakaleklalawak means?

haha yeah, true that. thats why you should have this resources to back you up. money can move mountains.

@acey.. haha yeah. ive gone to the places i thought i cannot reach because of my friends. especially if they are scattered everywhere. take my case for example. i have friends in pampanga, kalinga, marikina, paranaque, pangasinan, and as far as australia etc...

dodong flores 도동 플로오리스 said...

Yes, it also helps if you have connection in different parts of the country just like I do. In some of my travels, I stayed in a house of a friend instead of staying in a hotel. Yet there are cases that a friend's location is a bit farther than my destination. A good example is my Vigan adventure. While I have a friend who is living in Vintar, it is still a good few kilometers from Vigan, so I opted to stay in a hotel instead. But other than that, I minimized my travel expense by staying in friend's house.
One of these days when I'm free, I'd storm all of these friends who happened to live in different parts of the country by visiting those favorite destinations nearer to them...

The Islander said...

yup.. amen to that. aside from sponsoring the stay, you also have free tour guide. hehe.