Saturday, November 15, 2008

Intruding Intramuros

Even before going to Manila to attend the 34th Philippine Business Conference, I already have the list of itinerary just in case I find the luxury of time. I got 5 in my list but was able to visit only three… Mall of Asia, Intramuros, and the Manila Ocean Park.

MOA did not capture much of my
interest, maybe because it appears barren to me, so I skip this post in favor of the historic Intramuros.

Since it was just a block away from Manila Hotel, the conference venue,
we managed to breakout from the slightly mind-numbing affair. Aided with a sketch saved in my mind, we searched the way to the entrance of Intramuros. Walking the pathway along Roxas Boulevard was our first hint. Good thing we saw a calesa heading north so we followed it.

The calesa stopped in not so distant with the foreign couple unloading from it. We posed with the calesa but the female guest offered to take us a photo so out of her generosity we made her the photographer at her best. And here goes…


She cut the horse’s head. Lol

While searching for the entry point to Intramuros, I noticed a neat landscape of golf course fenced in just beside the highway. Later I found out it was the outer parcel of our quest. And a little later we were able to find the entrance. We memorized the spots of interest posted at the entrance and moved our way in.


Too early to appreciate the place but I was mesmerized by the antiquities of the fortress. And because it’s too huge to conquer for just an hour, we opted to ride the calesa not minding how much it costs. P250.00 for one ride around Intramuros is already too much for me but that time what matters to me is the lifetime opportunity. (Like I don’t have the chance to visit it anymore. Hehe)

Here are my finds in our merry-go-round calesa ride:

The Puerta de Santa Lucia

Walls of Puerta Real

Carranza
Also called Baluarte de San Andres or Baluarte de San Nicolas, built in 1603 designed to protect the old Real Gate and reinforce the southeastern part of Intramuros. It was reconstructed in 1733 with the addition of a bomb-proof arsenal for gun powder storage, a watchtower (garita), and barracks. This was destroyed during the British siege of Manila in 1762 and rebuilt after its occupation. Damaged during the battle of Manila in 1945 and was restored in 1987.


Antediluvian-designed McDonalds branch suiting its style in the place

The remnants of the former Central Bank

The sidewalk refreshment stalls

The Governor's Palace
the former official home of the Spanish Viceroyalties to the Philippines

The Manila Cathedral


The CPCP House

Casa Manila

The San Agustin Church
undergoes renovation during our visit

The Islander riding the ill-fated Pegasus now drawing wooden carriages. Lol

And I also found out, Intramuros is home to some prestigious universities like Mapua, Lyceum, Letran, and Pamantasan ng Maynila… and that it houses the Manila Bulletin publishings.

Up next... Intramuros by feet.

22 comments:

The Dork One said...

and you're back!!!!

i've been living here in manila forever but haven't ridden a kalesa...

shame on me

Lantaw said...

nakaka miss ang walls ng Intramuros. Spent a good 4.5 years inside it when I was in Mapua. Thanks for sharing the photos

Admin said...

Nice naman.. Hehe :)

Galing ka na pala dito sa Manila .... Hehe :) Congrats Kuya!

MysLykeMeeh said...

wow---

pusangkalye said...

welcome back din---we missed you around.....

pusangkalye said...

at ang post---Intramuros---what a better way to do it. buti di us nagsabay. muntik ko na post yan kagabi kasi galing me dyan last Sunday. mag-isa at natakot ako....

...gabi na. so puro night shots lang at malabo. me ilan lang na okay sa Manila Cathedral......

I was surprised kasi last year when we were there napaka -festive ng place. nabigla ako talaga. pakiramdam ko napapabayaan na.....

escape said...

ayan! balik pasyal na tayo dito. kakatuwa kasi nakapaunta na ako sa intramuros at fort santiago kaya lang hindi ko pa nakikita ang manila cathedral at san agustin. sama ko talaga.

RedLan said...

ganda ng intramuros. buhay na buhay pa rin

Anonymous said...

nakakainis ka JP! hindi ko man lang nasulyapan ang kakisigan mo! hihihihihihihi.

Dakilang Islander said...

ang tagal mo namang nawala...buti ka pa nakasakay na ng kalesa..heheh
meron din dito kaso nahiya naman akong sumakay puro tourist lng kc

Niel said...

Calesa rides are fun.

PS
I'm seeing double somewhere in your post.

:)

pusangkalye said...

Ngayon ko lang napansin JP---at nakabarong kapa talaga pala na pumunta ng INTRAMUROS ha....

Anonymous said...

pagkalaagan nlng gud nimo dong noh! hehehe.. first, welcome back! yebah! second, i can say that intramuros is such a nice place.. i've been there once way back our college for our rizal life subject and im proud to have intramuros.. very historic place! un lng poh..

Anonymous said...

ang kalesa! bow! naaliw ako sa kalesa. :)

veta said...

thanks for the tour..(feel lang)

onatdonuts said...

Mantakin mo nga naman, nanggaling ka pala ng Intramuros? hahaha

nakakatuwa yung kabayo. :-)
ingats nalang diyan sa Surigao Chamber of Commerce. naks big time talaga. :-)

pusangkalye said...

waiting for Intramuros by foot.Another perspective......jejeje

ßrigida ∫chmidt © Copyright said...

I've been to the Intramuros too, maybe three years ago. Am trying to dig out my old photos and post them blog them when I find time.

Anyway, all the photos here remind me of my own Intramuros Adventure! Nice ones.

Anonymous said...

nyehehhe! bigla kong na-miss yung tambayan namin kina Aling Bising. Saka yung mga bilyaran at inuman jan sa Intra. hahahah!

Anonymous said...

i should've included intramuros in my itinerary during my last visit to manila.. tsk3..

ernie r. said...

nyah. kung nisulti ka pa na nag plano mo laag sa intramuros i will be a good guide. spent a good number of years inside the walled city during my PLM days.

how is surigao? kita kits lang sa sunod pcci event... e.r.

The Phil Guild Guide said...

Same sentiment here. I've lived all my life here in Manila but never got to ride a kalesa (salivating from the comfort of my home).