Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Cagayan de Oro Nightouts

And my first out of town trip for the year goes to Cagayan de Oro... the city of golden friendship.

I did mention in my post last year that CDO is a place for vultures. Whatta bad term. Okay, rephrase, CDO is a place for nightouts. This is so because most of its tourist points needed a devotion of time to travel. The good thing is these spots are worth of your time. But since i did not go to CDO for leisure, not able to experience these worthy places is the drawback of the trip.

Well, anyway, there are some ways to enjoy CDO. Just like what i used to do... Nightout! Stereotype for me but i dont have a choice cause as i've said im no tourist in those trips.

I left Surigao via Bachelor bus at 3:30 in the morning and arrived Butuan at almost 6 a.m. I spent half of the day processing my passport, basically starting from the beginning (1. getting NSO authenticated birth certificate 2. applying for NBI clearance 3. photocopying all the required documents and finally 4. submitting it to DFA Regional Office). I have no plans getting a passport but recently there was some developments in my job calling me to have one. The processing was a mix of easy and bloody.

After successfully processing it with the DFA, i immediately left Butuan City via King Long bus at 12 noon. I love King Long... it smells clean since they are new. And quite fast, with just 5 bus stops. The hours after was moment of quite dreams since i was asleep until we took a stop in Balingoan Terminal. The loud voices of people shouting in chorus awaken me. Macopa! Macopa! Itlog! Chicharon! Tubig!

Insensitive. Hmpf!

There were many of them barricading at the door of the bus. But since i am half asleep that time, it was too late for me to take a photo of them. Only this man left...

And some of them gathered on the other side of the bus, surrounding a dvd peddler.

Not too long, King Long went on. ..And so my moment of quite dreams.

Arriving at the Agora Terminal in CDO, i checked my phone for messages. Plenty of messages but the last one caught my attention. "JP, i need help. Please." I was so anxious. A friend from Zamboanga joining me in the seminar and happily texted earlier that he was strolling around Gaisano Mall is now calling for help. I asked why. He lost his wallet in the taxi on his way to the hotel and would like to borrow a fare back to Zambo. Haha. To his relief, i lent him 1k but told him not to go around anymore so as to avoid breaking things that will make him pay. Hehe.

I checked in at our designated billeting.. the Mallberry Suite Business Hotel located at the Limketkai Center, parking lot away from Limketkai Mall. My room was in the 5th floor. From there is a good view of the city. Too close to Gaisano Mall.


My body was still agonizing in pain. I was thinking of having a message but as i laid my body in bed after shower, i fell asleep.

The night of the following day, my Zambo friend and a new found fellow from Bislig, Surigao Sur joined me in bar hopping. Starting from Tagbuan Grill which is just around the block next to Gaisano Mall.


It was a nice place to hangout, with native huts made of bamboo installed inside. We found some group of students, lovers (pertained by the place's name "tagbuan" which is rendezvous in English), and group of not so young having fun. Unfortunately, we did not enjoy the place as the 'not so young' group kept on singing oldies songs the like of "My Way" so we transferred to Pixel Grill.


They got nice, lovely and young singers. And most of all, they got a delectable kinilaw. Slurrrpp... The place is so crowded so we did not stay longer and look for something a little private. Under the command of manong driver, he took us to Club Mics and Mags. People, it is a Rated R club.

And i prefer to keep my mouth shut about the whereabouts there. We only watched the show anyway and later on left. Ridiculous, they asked a bit expensive charges. Imagine San Mig Light priced double. Grrr...

Next and last stop was Club Mojo, the place for the youngsters. The first choice was Pulse Bar but they did not allow me to enter this time with flip flops on. So we settled at Club Mojo where an enjoyable sight welcomed us. There was a daring showdown. We stayed, have our final toast of beer and then headed back to the hotel.

The following day we attended the seminar still groggy and dreaming... as we slept 4am in the morning and woke up 9am. Nevertheless, it did not hinder us to participate in the discussion.

As an ending story, i would like to share this finger foods that we shared in the last day of the seminar showcasing the fascinating fruit carving. Well done. A fresh watermelon was transformed into a burning hot, chinese-themed presentation.

21 comments:

OLANOLOGY said...

oist, reading your post now make me miss CDO so much. i love CDO. i love the night life there especially the Night Cafe and the Night Market. the last time i was there was two years ago and i plan to visit there again. thank you for sharing your experience with us. btw, davao is waiting again for you.

The Islander said...

there was never a year that i missed going to dvo. so probably this year, i can have another trip there. and i am anticipating to experience the zipline...

Ishna Probinsyana said...

Magiging aktibo na ba ulet tong site mo JP? Hahaha! Kase naman. Yessss. Mukhang may naamoy akong out of the country trip ah. Yiherrr. :))

At teka, may nagbebenta ng macopa sa bus???

'anniniput' said...

Hmmmp..makes me miss CDO, specially the pastel..hehe!

naku kinsa guru ning zamboangenio friend ni islaman? tsk, tsk!

God bless! buenas noches Mr. Islander! :D

Anonymous said...

okey yung sa bus. nami-miss ko na yung "samalamig samalamig!"

escape said...

buhay na buhay ang nightlife sa CDO. saya nga din doon. swerte ko pag pumupunta doon kasi may kaibigan akong may resort.

veta said...

moment of quite dreams???hmmm...:-)

I have no plans getting a passport but recently there was some developments in my job calling me to have one???? asa kaha dapit? pasalubong dajon hu ajaw kalimte.

Anonymous said...

ayusss ah unang byahe ng taon... wala ba yung ng bebenta ng "ITLOG MO NOY ORANGE" nyahahaha joke...

parang naamoy ko ah baka may malayoang biyahe na to.ah. good luck..

Sa likod baja jaon nan tavern... jaon....hehehe suroy ra ko puhon..


Ayaw ng Boss.. Bomzz na lang... baka maging bossaboss heheheh

ingats sa trip...

Anonymous said...

sus, gimingaw hinuon ko sa CDO and the road trip to Surigao. Timing pud kaayo kay ga reminisce pud ko sa ako Surigao and Davao trips for a Valentine's post at my blog :)

Asa man diay ka magabroad bai?

Raft3r said...

i love cdo
people are nice
food's good
saka dyan ako nakikita ng sobra daming ostrich
hehe

Admin said...

Namimiss ko na ang pagagala kapag gabi sa Malate at Eastwood....

Duty kasi kaya wala halos gimik!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that was a full action packed activities "club hopping". :) Good thing you already have your passport that means more places to explore.

pusangkalye said...

siguro nga magandang gumimik dyan---e city of golden friendship pala e....pero teka---parang puro beerhouse ang pinasok mo JP---sigurado kabang friendship lang ha?

Anonymous said...

maraming pa lang pasyalan dyan.
Post ka naman ng top 10 places to visit para pag nag ka budget mapasyalan.


pwede ta exchange link?

Rizza said...

the next time you travel put on a "Do Not Disturb" sign on your body... the last time we had our Baguio-La Union-Pangasinan road trip, my friend had one on his back pack hehehe

Allen Yuarata said...

ang ganda nung itsura nung pagkain. parang di pagkain. haha.

Sidney said...

I wish work was that fun for me... ;-)
Looks like you had a fun time in CDO.

Chuck said...

punta akong CDO next week :D
sana maenjoy ko din ang night life

pamatayhomesick said...

musta na pards!


yung chicharon baboy ang namiss ko sa pinas madalas kong bilin yan pag nasa byahe ako sa bus!

dodong flores 도동 플로오리스 said...

Gimingaw na hinuon ko sa CDO. Believe it or not, the last time I saw how CDO look like was in 1995 before ako nagpa-Manila. I lived there during the last years of my college life.
Thanx for posting your adventure. May idea na ako what to do to reaquint myself of the place...

cagayan de oro jobs said...

Cagayan de Oro is such a lively place. If you want night outs then CDO won't disappoint you. I learn to love the place in my 2 months stay here. Next month, I'll be going back to my hometown again. I'll surely miss this city, especially their night cafe. I enjoyed watching bands and strolling in their ukay ukay stalls.